As we start to ease out of lockdown and start dipping our toe in the water of 'normal life' again, you may be wondering what is 'in' for Summer 2020.
Although I'm not one to go out and buy the latest trends (The only time I wore cycling shorts was 25 years ago!), I like to pick a few that work for me and incorporate them into my wardrobe.
12 Favourites from SS20
- Clean Lines: Silks, slip dresses, halter neck tops, minimalist dressing and monochromatic tones
- Polka Dots: Not just navy and cream. All kids of colour combinations.
- Pleats: Think crinkle blouses or dresses
- Tie Dye: Think California laid back colourful clothes
- Suits & Relaxed Tailoring
- Decolletage: Translation - show off your neck and shoulders. Scoop, square and slashed necklines and off the shoulder looks
- LBD: Silk or simple - we should all have one of these in our wardrobes
- White Summer Dress: Maxi Dress or Broderie Anglais. Keep it Simple!
- Billowy Dresses (Smock Dresses with tiered hems)
- Puff Sleeves: Either at the shoulder or down the arm
- Draw Strings: for example trousers or hems of tops
- Sheer Layers / Bra Accentuation
What does this mean for you?
Choose tops with a halterneck or a scoop, slash or square neck. Wear tops off the shoulder (instantly dresses them up). Alternatively choose tops with puff sleeves or see through to show your bra.
Think black and white and monochromatic colours. Another key colour for the summer is Buttercup Yellow.
Carry on wearing your loungewear or trackie bottoms (especially if they have a drawstring waist).
Choose smock dresses with plenty of fabric and tiered hems. Wear them short or maxi length.
- Little Black Dress (you will get your wear out of this forever if you get the right one)
- Long White Summer Dress (you will wear this every year but make sure its not see-through)
- Tailored Jacket (choose a classic style and colour and you will throw this on with everything and wear it all year round)
Just a few thoughts. This is not a full list of everything that came down the catwalks. These are my favourites and the most wearable (in my opinion).
Let me know what you think and what you'll be wearing this Summer.